Saturday, July 2, 2011

HPA's Drama Camp!







So, I meant to get this posted a week or two ago... but here it is now. :)

Where do I start? Two weeks ago, two of my sisters and I had the amazing privilege of being able to participate in Homeschool Performing Art's (HPA's) drama camp. It is a 9-1 day camp every day for the week, with the entire day Friday, leading up to a show on Friday night. I had a blast! Camp focused specifically on 3 different parts of theater: acting, singing, and choreography.

For the acting aspect, everyone got cast into various different short skits. My skit was a story in Bible times about 3 women (an old lady, a newly-married, and a young girl), where the little girl is trying to convince the older ones that there's been a miracle - Jesus has healed a man! However, I (the old lady :D), am the "town gossiper" kind of woman - she knows how everything is and how she thinks everything should be, and there's no changing her mind. :) I really enjoyed everything that came with the skit - memorization, character development, and even learning how to become an old lady - though it was definitely a challenge! Another thing I greatly enjoyed about my skit was the fact that I had quite a few very humorous lines. The audience laughed a lot, though at times I found it difficult to stay in character!

Another thing we worked on was voice/choir/singing. I really enjoy singing, and I've actually started taking voice lessons this summer with Mr. G. But, anyways, the song we primarily learned at camp is A New World from a musical called "Songs for a New World". The song we sang was so beautiful, and it had gorgeous harmonies in it!! The other song we sang was Happiness from the musical "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown". That was a very pretty song, too. And our dear Miss Elizabeth did an amazing job teaching us. :)

Last, but not least, we learned a large choreography piece. This year, we learned it to a song called Me Ol Bamboo from Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang. It was super tricky to get, but it was definitely fun in the end. We did get a little nervous, though, when we did it at our official "dress rehearsal" the afternoon of the show; we all completely forgot the choreography for the last minute of the song!! I'm sure you can guess what we were working on after that. :)

But, as usual, ;), the Lord brought everything together, and the performance went really well! There were a few minor mess-ups in various skits and parts of the choreography, but overall everyone did great. And by the time I got home Friday night, I was so happy and full of joy. I just absolutely love HPA, and it was GREAT to be back on stage again... And I had fun, Friday: I. miss. show. week. The long days, all the time spent with your dear friends, being on stage, and just rehearsing and putting on an incredible show that brings glory to God. Well, on Friday, it felt a little like show week, since we were at HPA the whole day. It wasn't quite as long, but I still had tons of fun.

THE LORD IS GOOD!!!



In Christ,
Elizabeth

No comments: