Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Planting our Garden!




On Saturday (which happened to be my birthday), we planted our garden! Our selections this year include lettuce, spinach, potatoes, corn, purple beans (like green beans, except they're even better and they're purple, but they do turn green when you cook them!!), tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, zucchini, cucumbers, and dill. We try our best to find non-GMO seeds, and for the past two years have loved everything we have gotten from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. However, since, in all the years we've done a garden, we've never gotten to it early enough to start seeds indoors. Thus, Dad and I went to the greenhouse and bought pepper, tomato, zucchini, and broccoli plants. Unfortunately, some of them were not heirloom. :( So far, we have not had anything we planted come up. However, we found a few potato seedlings starting to come from potatoes we must have missed when we dug up our potatoes last year. :) We are looking forward to delicious produce from our garden later in the summer! From some of our cucumbers, I'm planning on making pickles, which are ABSOLUTELY delicious! Maybe I will post the recipe later on in the summer, so you can all enjoy fresh pickles this summer as well. And another bonus about them - they are super easy!! :)

Stay tuned, I will hopefully continue to post more pictures of our garden as it matures over the summer...

In Christ,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Lydia said...

How fun! I love planting gardens!
I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. I have been gone in Ten. and wasn't able to check my blog or post comments. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I am so happy that we met and I am excited to get to know you better through blogging!
Lydia F.
P.S. I love your blog background!

Mikailah said...

Fun! Gardens are so wonderful... I love planting anything though. :) We son't have a garden... it is hard to grow things in AZ, but we do have a lot of herbs. ;)
Blessings~
Mikailah