Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Trust in the Lord

Hello, friends!

You probably all know by now that I am a part of the devotions committee for Meet Me In St. Louis. It has been such a blessing to write these devotions over the past year, and I thought I would share one with you that I will present on Saturday. It is about trusting in God. I realize that parts of this will not apply for you, but I hope it can still encourage you in your walk with Christ.

Trust

Today, my letter is “T” for Trust. To start out, I want to ask you a question that may seem simple. Do you trust in God? Think about that for a minute. I’m not necessarily asking if you believe in Jesus, I’m asking if you completely trust God throughout everything. What is the answer for you? I know that many of us here are Christians, and it could be easy to shrug off this question with a simple “yes” without really thinking deeper. If that was the answer you told yourself, was it just “automatic answer”, just the right thing to say? Or is it real? Do you really trust in the Lord throughout everything?

It is so critical that our trust is in the Lord. Proverbs 3:5 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.” Sometimes we try to trust in ourselves, and think that we can handle our problems on our own. Maybe our problem is so big that we don’t think God can fix it. Or, it may just seem like such a small problem that we deceive ourselves into thinking that God doesn’t care. But he does. When we have problems, worries, or fears, our Lord wants us to just come and trust in Him. This is what Jesus says in Matthew 11:28: “Come to me, all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” We will often carry heavy loads of worries and fears that the Lord does not want us to carry. He is offering to take them from us, we just need to have the faith to be able to give them to him and let Him take care of it.

Peter says a similar thing in 1 Peter 5:7. “Cast your anxieties upon the Lord, because he cares for you.” I love that verse, specifically because Peter doesn’t just say “give your cares to God”. He uses the phrase “Cast your cares upon the Lord”. This word, “cast”, is a fishing word. Back in Bible times, they would catch fish by just chucking a net out over the water, and then pulling it in. The fish would get caught as they brought it in. Here, Peter is telling us to just go and chuck our worries on God, because he loves us. Isn’t it so incredible that he loves us like that? In Psalm 13:5, David says, “But I will trust in your unfailing love.” David knew that whenever he had trouble in his life, and he had much, he could always turn to God, and God would always be there for him. David reflects this thought in Psalm 46:1-2 “God is our Refuge and Strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way, and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.”

As we go through show week together as a family in Christ, I pray that we will put our trust in the Lord. Most likely, everyone here either has had or will have some sort of fear, worry, or nervous anxiety about the show this week. I just want to encourage everyone to really trust in the Lord. If you are worried about something, just tell God! Just go to him and say, “Lord, I’m really worried about this,” or, “I’m really nervous about that. Please take this from me, I give it to you.” It’s that simple. The Lord wants to take away your fear, but he can’t until you give it to him.

I want to finish with a last verse and a challenge. The verse is from Psalm 20:7. It says, "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord." The challenge is this: As we go through this nervous, stressful, week together, I want to challenge you to put all of your trust in the Lord. Don't hold on to your worry or fear or nervous anxiety. I want to challenge you to give it all to Him who cares for you.


In Christ,

Elizabeth

2 comments:

iammygirlsmom said...

This is wonderful, Elizabeth! Very well done!!

The show was absolutely amazing. What a mature group of people with so much talent. It was a joy to watch you on stage, Elizabeth!! You did VERY well - what a lot of work!!! We will be coming to your next show, for sure!!

Love, Mrs. Boersma

Bonnie said...

HI Elizabeth, your blog has been listed at www.youngchristianbloggers.blogspot.com :)