Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes

Hello, everyone! It's been so long since I've last posted, it's terrible! I really need to get on here more and let you know about my life. :D

I'm sure many, if not all of you have heard of the Christian organization called Samaritan's Purse. Furthermore, you have probably heard about, if not participated in, one of their major ministries: Operation Christmas Child. Basically, you fill up an old shoebox or small plastic container with various small items. For example, a toothbrush, toothpaste, stuffed animal or doll, coloring supplies, some small toys, maybe a pair of socks or a blanket. Samaritan's Purse then distributes these boxes to children ages 2-14 who have experienced war, famine, or natural disasters. They also give these boxes to poverty-stricken kids. Each shoebox also brings the gospel message to a little boy or who has never heard of Jesus! Though the time for packing shoeboxes is over for this year, I just wanted to share a few videos from their website that really touched my heart. After seeing these, my sisters and I have already started saving up money to buy stuff to fill even more shoeboxes next year.

~Click HERE for one about a named Oksana Nelson who received a shoebox herself many years ago, when she lived in an orphanage in Russia, and how it has changed her life. This is the one that touched me the most.

~Click HERE for one about a woman name Leija Allison who received a shoebox growing up in war-torn Bosnia. It is a little intense, you might want to preview before watching with younger kids.

~Click HERE for a hilarious, "modern-style", kind of advertisement for Operation Christmas Child. We were all laughing so hard!

~Click HERE to see a video of a we were all VERY impressed by. She collected 1,000 shoeboxes this year!!

If you would like to know more about Samaritan's Purse, their website is www.samaritanspurse.org.

Who knew one little shoe box could impact lives for Christ so drastically?


I hope these videos touched you as they have me. Next year, I will definitely be packing more shoe boxes!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow, and remember to be thankful for all we have!

Love in Christ,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Erin said...

I think it would be SO amazing to get to deliver these!!!

Erin