Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Homeschool Performing Arts Drama Camp

Hello!

I am sorry I have been "away" for so long! I have been pretty busy with summer happenings lately. I will proceed to tell about one of them. (Or this post would be way too long!) :D

The week of July 12, I participated in the Homeschool Performing Arts (HPA) drama camp. I had so much fun! I got to see some friends from Annie, and I also met some new friends, as well. It was a morning camp throughout the week, with all day on Friday, leading up to a performance of all we learned through the week on Friday night. I had a BLAST!! All of us older girls did it (me, Leah, and Abigail). The directors taught us a song (like choir experience), choreography, and we did a small play/skit.

The song my group did was called "Seize the Day" from the musical Newsies. Then Miss Elizabeth (the choir director) revealed to us that we would choreograph the song we were singing! I really enjoyed that, and it was good experience, because in a musical you have to sing and dance at the same time. So we sang and did choreography to "Seize the Day", which by the way is an AWESOME song!

The skit I was in was called "Was Blind But Now I See". It is about how there were these five blind kids, and using their other senses they were able to "see" an elephant, and they loved each other and God and got along so well. Then there are these two other kids (of whom I was one) who can see physically, but can't "see" spiritually - we are constantly arguing with one another, don't get along, and don't love Jesus. The verse that was like the theme was, "I came into this world so that those who do not see may see, and those who do see may become blind."

We also did some improv games that were a ton of fun. One of them was called "Hijacker" - one person started a scene with four people and the other players had to interact in the scene as well, except they couldn't discuss what they were doing. We also did some miming. Miss Elizabeth, who taught the miming to us, is really good at it. We learned some basic positions, how to pick up a box, pick a flower, pull a rope, and feel a glass wall. I had a ton of fun with all of it.

Well, that about wraps it up! The performance went really well, too. I might play around and try to figure out how to put video on, (dad videotaped "Seize the Day") or someone could comment and tell me how. :D



In Christ,
Elizabeth

No comments: