Friday, April 2, 2010

Reflections on Good Friday

We were reading about Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane from a book called And the Angels were Silent by Max Lucado. (It is a really great book, by the way.) We read Matthew 26:36-46, as well as

John 17:20-23, which really stuck out to me.

"My prayer is not for them [the disciples] alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as You are in me and I am in You. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and You in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that You sent me and have loved them even as You have loved me."

In his last moments before being arrested, he was praying for me. He was praying for you. He was praying for us. That we may become one in Him. He knew he only had a few minutes more with his disciples before they deserted him. The fact that he spent these last few minutes in prayer means a lot. It shows how much he loves us, as a family of believers. In fact,

He died... because he loves us.
He was whipped... because he loves us.
He was spat on... because he loves us.
He was insulted... because he loves us.
He carried his cross... because he loves us.
Nails were driven into his hands... because he loves us.
He was crucified... because he loves us.
He went to Hell... because he loves us.
He died... so we don't have to.

Because of Him, I will never die. I will live forever with HIM! What a privilege!

What about you? Will you accept his love?

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Karen said...

Nice post Elizabeth! He is Risen!!!!